Canal under Piazza della Repubblica

March 13, 2016

Canal under Piazza Repubblica“Piazza della Repubblica” (Republic Square) was originally built in the first half of the nineteenth century, as a bridge to connect the city of Livorno with its suburbs.

It was originally called “Piazza dei Granduchi” (square of the Grand Dukes), in honor of the Lorraine dynasty . During the Italian unification, it was dedicated to King Carlo Alberto, and that remained unchanged until the 1946 referendum, when it was renamed Piazza della Repubblica.

It is one of the largest and most characteristic squares in the city. For many Livorno inhabitants, the square is known as “Voltone” for the presence of the big vault (240 meters) which covers the “Fosso Reale” (Royal Canal).

Canal under Piazza Repubblica

→ Next page

Canal under Piazza della Repubblica
4.8 (96%) 10 votes