Piazza Cavour was built in the early nineteenth century along the “Fosso Reale” (Royal Canal).
The area where the square was built, had been, originally, the southern bulwark of the fortified town designed by Bernardo Buontalenti.
The final setting of the square dates back to some important initiatives promoted from the thirties and the seventies of the nineteenth century. Next, to expand the area of the square, it was undertaken the expansion of the bridge on the Fosso Reale. In 1871 in the center of the square was erected a monument dedicated to Count Camillo Benso di Cavour, the work of local sculptor Vincenzo Cerri.